I have been traveling so much lately, I have hardly had the chance to cook. Once my travels died down, I just wanted to create something simple, hearty and fresh. I thought this Braised Kale Spaghetti I saw was perfect!
Spaghetti with Braised Kale and Sausage
adapted from Bon Appetite
2 lbs. Lacintano Kale (2 bunches), torn into pieces removing the stem
1/2 lb. spaghetti
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
4 garlic chicken sausage links, sliced
1 cup baby heirloom tomato, sliced
1. Rinse kale and drain, allowing some of the water to still cling to the leaves.
2. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, add in the diced onions and cook till they become translucent. Add in the minced garlic and sprinkle with salt and cook until the onion pieces start to turn golden brown. Stir occasionally.
3. Add kale and more olive oil to the pan. Cook until kale is wilted. Cover pot and cook on medium low until kale is super tender. Stir occasionally and add in Tbsp.'s of water if the kale seems dry. Cook for 5minutes, in the last five minutes add in the sliced baby tomatoes.
4. In another pan either grill or pan fry the chicken sausage and set aside.
5. Cook spaghetti in a medium pot and reserve 1/4 a cup of the cooking liquid before draining.
6. Add kale mixture, sausage and noodles together in large pot/pan. Add lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. cooking liquid and season with salt as needed. (Add in more cooking liquid if needed). Toss to combine and grate parmesan cheese over the top before serving.
This pasta is nice and refreshing with the lemony light sauce and to be honest I love anything with kale in it. It might be a little on the girly side, but the boy seemed to enjoy it too.