Quinoa is a grain, that is closely related to the leafy greens like spinach and Swiss chard. In the past it was referred to as the "gold of the Incas", due to it's ability to increase stamina and provide the Incas with all the necessary nutrients and protein. Quinoa is unique since it is a complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids!! The list of benefits go on and on, and it is often found to help those with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis. It's benefits go on and on for more information you can find info here and here.
Cheesey Caramelized Onion Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
salt and pepper
1. Cook quinoa according to directions on the package/box. *Cook in chicken broth for extra flavor!* Drain quinoa, season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
2. Heat half of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and caramelized the sliced onion. This will take 10-20 minutes so start it the same time as the quinoa. Set aside when complete. *Or use 1/2 cup of your crockpot caramelized onions!*
3. Add more olive oil to pan and stir in the garlic and shallots and cook until both soften and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Toss in mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender. *Create layers of flavor*
4. Add spinach to the pan and cook till leaves are wilted. Once completed gently fold in mixture with quinoa.
5. Grate Parmesan cheese over the quinoa and season more if necessary.