Even though my apple picking adventure was sort of a bust, I was still in the mood for some apple flavored desserts! I made these the other day for one of our USC football games. My friend J who recently had a baby is still off chocolate, so I wanted to make a dessert that she would be able to enjoy as well. I saw these and thought they were perfect for the game and for Fall!!
I had decided to skip out on the frosting in the original recipe and it was a good thing I did since it was in the high 80’s that day. But I totally want to try it with the frosting next time around…
Apple Toffee Blondies
adapted from Cookies and Cups
2/3 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped, peeled apples
2/3 cup toffee bits
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 pan with baking spray.
2. Cream butter and sugar until well mixed and smooth. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3. Add in flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in apples and toffee pieces until evenly distributed.
4. Pour batter into the baking pan and pop into the oven for 30 minutes, or until done.
5. Let cool and drizzle the maple syrup powdered sugar over the blondie pieces.
The verdict? These were totally yum and a hit with the boys, not sure if they ran out or not since I left my tailgate early to meet up with my former boss and sit with her at the game that week. That game was a scorcher and I left with a crazy tan.