I have been wanting to try Shrimp and Grits for about a year now. Sometime last year I saw it popping up on a lot of food blogs and thought it looked so simple and delicious. I called my friend Charlotte who lives in North Carolina to see if she had a good recipe for me to use. She didn’t, but she told me that Hominy Grill had the BEST Shrimp and Grits that she ever had!
Shrimp and Grits
adapted from Hominy Grill
1 lb. shrimp (approximately 15 shrimp)
1 Tbsp. flour
3-4 bacon slices
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1/2 box of mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
Green onions, sliced
Cheesey Corn Grits
Grits (Prepare as directed on package)
1. Peel and devein shrimp. Toss in flour until lightly coated.
2. Prepare grits as directed on the package. Add in 1 cup of fresh corn kernels and 1/2-3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
3. Cook bacon until crisp, set aside on a paper towel and allow to drain. Chop into pieces once cool. Reserve some of the bacon fat.
4. Cook the mushrooms in some of the bacon fat. Add in shrimp and sautee until the shrimp are pink. Add in garlic, lemon juice, Tabasco and season with salt.
5. Serve immediately over the Cheesey Corn Grits and garnish with bacon.
This dish did not disappoint! The grits were a little rich for my taste, I might go with a little less butter and cheese next time (I used skim milk to make it). This is a nice comfort food dish that is easy to make! Perfect for the summer too!