Thursday, July 12, 2012

Crockpot North Carolina Style BBQ

Sometimes your love life bleeds over to your cooking.  You may have remembered all the great eats I had when I visited North Carolina last year for my friends wedding and I have been infatuated with the South ever since.  I was also lucky enough to start dating a “Southern Gentleman” from North Carolina. 

044

I needed a crockpot dish for a work potluck and when I saw this I knew it was a great opportunity to test run a dish I could make for my boyfriend.  I served it on King’s Hawaiian sweetbread rolls, so it was a little bit of me and a little bit of some Southern goodness as well.  It was a perfect match! This dish is so easy and while it may create a vinegar sauna in your house, its well worth it.  The pulled pork was a hit at the potluck. 

NCpulledpork

Crockpot North Carolina Style BBQ
adapted from Allrecipes

6 lb Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt
1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
salt
pepper
2-3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Texas Pete’s Hot Sauce
2 tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. red chili pepper

1.  Place the pork shoulder in the crockpot and season well with salt and pepper.  Pour the vinegar around the pork.  Cover and cook on low for 12 hours. 

2.  Remove pork and shred with a fork.  Reserve 2 cups of the liquid and add in all the seasonings.  Add the pork back in and mix well.  Leave on warm till you serve. 

I would let the pork sit in its juices for at least 30 minutes.  I found that the sauce developed in taste the longer it sat.  Serve these with your favorite rolls/buns, another dash of Texas Pete’s hot sauce and some coleslaw for one of the best sandwiches! 

Another simple Southern style dessert that takes minutes to make when you get a little help from Trader Joe’s is Strawberry Shortcake.  I had seen these Shortcake Biscuits at TJ’s and had wanted to try them.  They do not disappoint!!

Shortbread

Just serve with some berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Perfect for summer nights!  Thanks Trader Joe’s!!

Strawberryshortcake