Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kalua Pig Pizza with Lomi Tomato

I’m so excited for the long weekend!  Please don’t be jealous, but on Friday night I am going to the NKOTBSB concert!  LOL yes New Kids combined with Backstreet Boys.  I’m hoping it will be cheesy awesome goodness and bring back lots of good memories.  Yes they are older, but so am I and I think they still got it!  


Photo from www.nkotbsb.com

On another note, I hope you’ve enjoyed my Hawaii series so far, we’re almost wrapping it up.  As I mentioned in my Lomi Lomi Tomato post, there is a common misconception that Canadian bacon/pepperoni and pineapple is a Hawaiian pizza.  While I totally get the marketing/naming convention, I want to share with you what I think is a REAL Hawaiian pizza!  If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you may have seen this a couple of weeks ago!   

046

Kalua Pig Pizza with Lomi Tomato

1 package pizza dough
flour, to handle dough
1 cup kalua pig
olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup caramelized onions, about 1 medium onion
1 cup Lomi Lomi Tomato
1 stalk green onion, sliced

Note:  You can find Kalua Pig at most Hawaiian Supermarkets, or in the Hawaii section of some Japanese supermarkets.   

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Stretch dough to form a pizza, using flour and rolling pin to help you shape.  Place pizza on a pizza pan or baking sheet.  Drizzle dough with olive oil and sprinkle minced garlic evenly on the dough.   

029

2.  Sprinkle half the mozzarella on the pizza, add the kalua pig, caramelized onions and add the other half of the cheese.  *Use those crockpot caramelized onions that you froze earlier!*

034

3.  Put pizza into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese bubbles and crust is crisp.  Top with Lomi Tomato mixture and green onions.

042

Um this was amazing!!  The salty smokiness of the Kalua pig on the pizza was so good with the refreshing lomi tomato on the top… Topped with a splash of Tabasco and I was in heaven.  This moved to the top of the list of what I am doing with all my left over Kalua pig from now on.  Alright alright, for those of you who still want some pineapple- I’m sure some pineapple habanero salsa would also be amazing on this as well.  =)  Have a great 4th of July!