Friday, November 4, 2011

Baked Apple Cider Donuts

You may remember that on my apple picking adventure I made some yummy apple cider with my friends.  One of my goals for apple picking was actually to get some fresh apple cider donuts!!  Sadly it doesn’t seem to be a big thing out here on the west coast?  Cause the apple farm that I was at did not have it.

I did take some of that apple cider that we made and decided to bake some of my own Apple Cider Donuts.  I decided to do some baked donuts, cause really I am the last person who needs to be eating a dozen fried donuts by herself.  So I whipped out my donut pan and looked for the perfect recipe and found one from Vittles and Bits!

159

Baked Apple Cider Donuts
adapted from Vittles and Bits

1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 t nutmeg
1/8 t cloves
1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/4 t baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 t salt
2 T melted butter
1 egg

Cinnamon sugar for dusting or Trader Joe’s Chocolate Coffee Cocoa Bean Sugar

1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Grease you donut pan with cooking spray.

2.  Pour apple cider in a small pot and boil. let it simmer for 5-7 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce to half.  Remove the cider from heat and let it cool. 

3.  In a large bowl sift flour, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and sugar.  Add in apple cider, buttermilk, butter and egg.  Mix well combined.

4.  Pipe batter into the donut pan, filling it about half way.  *Be sure not to over fill or they will come out looking like mini bundts!*   Bake for 5-6 minutes, remove from the oven and let it cool for another 5 minutes. 

PS.  I loved Vittles and Bits hint of baking these in the toaster oven to crisp up and then brushing it with butter and finishing the donuts with cinnamon sugar! 

164