Sunday, November 13, 2011

Brunswick Stew

I fell in love with Brunswick Stew when we had it at my friends North Carolina BBQ themed rehearsal dinner.  At first glance I thought it was just pork and beans so I took a small serving, once I tried it on top of a saltine cracker though, I was in love and found myself getting another larger portion!  Please check out the yummy goodness we had- dear hush puppies I miss you as well.   

044

Brunswick Stew
adapted from Foodnetwork.com

1/2 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
2 cups fat free chicken broth
1 15oz can of lima beans, undrained
1 28oz can of whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
8oz frozen lima beans
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1 can cream corn, or 1 cup frozen corn
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup ketchup or BBQ Sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
hot sauce, to taste
1/2 tsp liquid smoke


1.  Add 3 cups of chicken broth, the liquid from the canned lima beans (reserve beans for later), and the canned tomatoes to your dutch oven.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat, cook stirring often reducing the liquid by 1/3 for 40 minutes. 

2.  Mash reserved lima beans and add into the pot with shredded chicken, potatoes and onions to Dutch oven.  Cook over low heat for 3.5 hours, stirring often.  Stir in corn and remaining ingredients and cook for an additional hour. 

Serve with saltines or hush puppies. 

Brunswick

This was so yummy with the colder weather we are having and since this makes a pretty large portion I was able to freeze some for later as well!  I want to know what other Southern foods I am missing out on!  I’ll share with you all the things I DID get to try when I went out to North Carolina.